Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Content in troubled times

Many were saying that we lived in troubled times even before the pandemic. Now after two years of this we now realize that we haven’t even begun to see the limits of our troubles. So we are starting to long for the days before the pandemic, despite the fact we once called them troubled. With that being said, take a moment to reflect on this passage.

I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength. Yet it was good of you to share in my troubles. Moreover, as you Philippians know, in the early days of your acquaintance with the gospel, when I set out from Macedonia, not one church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving, except you only; for even when I was in Thessalonica, you sent me aid more than once when I was in need. Not that I desire your gifts; what I desire is that more be credited to your account. I have received full payment and have more than enough. I am amply supplied, now that I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent. They are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.-Philippians 4:10-19

We often see verse thirteen quoted by itself. Leading us to think he's talking about being a miracle worker. However, when we read this in context with the realization that this was written from prison, we can see that he is talking about something else. That the passage is about perseverance and being at inner peace despite his lack of physical prosperity. I bring this up because it seems rather apparent that many are not living up to Paul's example through our pandemic prison, among other things. Social media is flooded with dissatisfied people complaining about every little thing right now. Not that I am saying we shouldn't do what we can, but complaining doesn't count as getting involved. If it did, the Bible wouldn't condemn the practice. So how and why are so many believers justifying their sinful grumbling. It could be a sign that they are actually putting their hope in the physical world, and not in Christ. That they are following the sinful nature of the flesh, instead of the Holy Spirit. Relying on their own strength, not God's.

Complaining is much like a contagion itself. It spreads from person to person, giving the people who feel the same way permission to grumble themselves. Uniting people through toxic actions. Which in turn inspires the people who feel differently about it to complain about the complainers, compounding this vicious cycle. With suicides and overdoses on the rise, the last thing we need to be doing is stoking the fires of ill content and toxicity.

Consider this. Paul went on several mission trips, yet we only know a few sparse details about them. Yet, the epistles that he wrote from prison have touched the lives of millions over the course of centuries. God clearly knew where Paul's strengths were, so perhaps He allowed Paul to be imprisoned so he could focus on his writing. So a big part of Paul's purpose was fulfilled in less than comfortable circumstances. Yet if Paul gave into an ill-content spirit, and just complained about his less than ideal situation; it's doubtful that he would have been such a prominent figure in The New Testament.

So ask yourself, where is your heart in all this? Are you wanting to do what is right, or just be right? Do you want to serve the greater good or just your own comfort? Holiness is never really served through self-centered unrighteousness after all, no matter how well-meaning. So I ask you, are you putting all your hope into things returning to normal? As well as engaging in a toxic cycle of complaining as if that will help the situation. Or are you putting all your hope in Christ, and letting him lead you into a state of inner peace despite the situation? As well as the genuinely constructive things you could be doing with your time. Either way, I would challenge you to read all of Philippians chapter four, as well as James chapter one, so you can see an example of how a disciple should conduct themselves in troubled times.

And do not grumble, as some of them did —and were killed by the destroying angel. These things happened to them as examples and were written down as warnings for us, on whom the culmination of the ages has come. So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don’t fall! -1st Corinthians 10:10-12

Therefore, among God’s churches we boast about your perseverance and faith in all the persecutions and trials you are enduring. -2nd Thessalonians 1:4


a man standing tall as he guards his jar of clay from toxic people


No comments:

Post a Comment