Saturday, February 22, 2014

The polarized church part 7: expanding the extrovert spectrum

Extroverts have room to stretch themselves as well. One of those places has to do with learning. As I have already blogged about, the apostles teaching is one of those things believers should be dedicated to. Yet extroverts may have a distinct disadvantage in that area.  Their short comings in patience and listening doesn’t always mesh well in many common teaching methods. I plan on doing a whole set of entries based upon the learning dynamic and how in varies depending on where you land on the introvert extrovert spectrum. So I won't get to wrapped up in that now. I feel it is important enough and big enough a subject that I can't sum it up in a sentence. But, there is one other area I will say something about, and that is purpose. To explain what I mean let me quote an expert on the introvert/extrovert spectrum.

"Teens who are too gregarious to spend time alone often fail to cultivate their talents, because it requires a solitude they dread." - Susan Cain

While she specifically addresses teens, I have found that this often extends into adulthood as well. I am sure that is why we find so many second career adults among extroverts. I have met many an adult much older than myself who seemed to not be self-aware at all. It just took them that long to find where their heart is at. So if you are an extrovert lacking a purpose to direct all your passion at, you are definitely going to have to stretch yourself to engage in some deep prayer and meditation where take time to listen in utter solitude to find it. Nobody but God himself can give you that answer, or send you in the right direction to find that answer. However, it may take an introvert to teach you to not be afraid of the quiet it takes to hear God's whispers. It will take an introvert to teach you the subtleties of Christian doctrine and theology it takes to acquire the spiritual maturity to live out said purpose.

I hope you get what I have been driving at here, for it's a simple human failing of church leaders to try to recreate the church in their image and temperament. They always use the same argument when people resist too. If you were faithful, you would do what I'm suggesting. Yet never recognizing it takes little or any faith to just be true to your own temperament as they are. A bird might as well take credit for being able to fly. The true unity in diversity of the ideal church cannot be found by skewing things either way. The inherent diversity in mankind can be the biggest strength we have, if we embrace and honor it. However, it can be our greatest liability if we try to defy and fight against it, which we often do. 



an extrovert making church all about him to the delight of the devil, but to Jesus disapointment
All eyes on ME (18x24 live drawing)

No comments:

Post a Comment