Friday, December 24, 2021

Wholeness: Abide

As I begin to wrap up this series, let me make one thing perfectly clear, if I haven’t quite done that already. It is very easy to get the goal of holiness mixed up with the means and exercises it takes to become holy. Consider these words of Jesus and what they reveal about the result versus the means.

“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prune so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.

“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.

“As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love.-John 15:1-10


We do not mature as disciples by forcing growth. Instead, the fruitful Christian life is the natural result of focusing on Jesus in a sincere way, and being mindful of his inevitable "pruning" in our lives. (James 1:2-12) Just as we cannot force trees to produce fruit overnight, we cannot coerce holiness by enforcing a definition by the strength of the flesh. (1st Corinthians 3:6-7) Our main goal in discipleship is to abide in Christ or dwell with Jesus to use simpler terms. By actively seeking Christ, we find the path to wholeness. By enduring the path to wholeness, we eventually arrive at the path to righteousness. As we walk the path of Righteousness, the path of purpose in God's kingdom which we are set apart is revealed. Thus, the cycle of three-dimensional holiness is engaged. Are you truly walking with Jesus, or just observing from afar?


A man walking with Jesus by the sea



But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. -Matthew 6:33

When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, “Who then can be saved?”
Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” -Matthew 19:25-26


I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength. -Philippians 4:12-14 (written from prison FYI)

No comments:

Post a Comment